The farm stands are packed with late summer harvests. Take advantage of the bounty with Southern two cheese squash casserole with a savory, crispy topping.
One of my fondest memories is of my Mom and my Aunt cooking in the kitchen together. I remember Mom making yellow squash in the skillet, smothering it with Swiss cheese and topping with bread crumbs. Even though they are both gone, I make that dish often when I just have me to cook for and I need a little comfort food.
This classic casserole published by Southern Living has the same elements as my Mom’s dish, but baked into a hearty side that the whole family can enjoy. They recommend two cheeses. Cheddar for melty richness and parmesan for a salty, nutty topping.
Personally, I would add some Swiss for added tang and just because it reminds me of Mom:) I think I’ll make some this weekend and keep it all for me.
WATCH: Take advantage of late summer harvests with cheesy Squash Casserole
Here’s your ingredient list:
- 4 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
And the written recipe!
SUGGESTED FOR YOU: Spice Up The Harvest With Zucchini Refrigerator Pickles