Memorial Day Cookout Hacks That Just Blew My Mind
Ah, everyone loves a good cookout. And Memorial Day cookouts are my all-time favorites! To help kick off the season of summer fun in style, I love these cookout hacks. They help me get out of the kitchen and away from the grill so I can spend some time recognizing and remembering the military heroes who’ve made our country great.
1. Clean your grill with an onion.
Before you plop your food on the grill, poke a halved onion with a skewer or fork and rub the onion all over the grill. Not only is this a completely green and chemical free way to clean your grill, but it’ll help season those burgers or dogs when you toss’m on the grill. Yum!
2. Free Up Your Grill And Get Out Of The Kitchen–Cook Your Corn In The Cooler!
This. Is. BRILLIANT! I never have a pot large enough for all my corn on the cob anyway, but I definitely DO have an extra cooler in my shed. . . so problem solved! Pour boiling water in your cooler, add shucked corn, close the lid. . .it’s that simple. And you can serve it from the cooler for 2 hours after it’s done? Love this!
3. Break Out The Power Tools To Peel Potatoes For Potato Salad
I know, I know. . .the peels are healthy and I should just leave’m on. But I make some mean potato salad (and my crew loves my mashed potatoes) so I need to peel a lot of potatoes sometimes. I mean A LOT! I love this idea because not only does it save time, but it gives the hubby something to do. And using a power tool to help with the cooking just makes his eyes light up brighter than the coals in the grill–ha!
4. Spiral Cut Your Hot Dogs
I’m just now finding out about this hot trend, and I love it! More carmelized crunchy surface on my hot dog makes me ever so happy. And I love how my hot dog fits the bun better, AND my condiments really stay put.
5. 10-Minute No Bake, 4 Ingredient Pie For Dessert
For dessert, there are so many cute red, white, and blue or flag options out there. But I love this 10-minute no-bake, 4 ingredient pie from seriouseats.com. Because it only takes 10 minutes. . . and did I mention, there’s only 4 ingredients? Plus, there’s something about a tangy, tart lime treat on a warm day–ahh! (My mouth’s waterin’ just thinking about it!)
Check out the recipe here. You can make it in advance and keep it in the fridge. However, if you decide to make it the same day as your cookout, just make sure you leave at least 2 hours for this tasty dessert to chill in the refrigerator or cooler.
6. Remember Our Military Heroes
There are many ways you can remember our military heroes.
Here are a few ideas to help get the brain juices flowing . . .
- This Memorial Day weekend, there are many community events you could attend.
- Take the family and visit a historically significant landmark near your home, taking some time to just remember.
- Maybe sit down and write down the story of one of your family’s fallen heroes.
- Visit someone who has lost a loved one.
- And of course, say a prayer for those military heroes we’ve lost, and pray for safekeeping for our active military.
We hope you and your loved ones have a safe and fun holiday weekend. Share on our Facebook page pictures and stories of how your family commemorates Memorial Day or any cookout hacks of your own!