Making the perfect cake is simpler than you think. And when I found this Glazed Orange Pound Cake, it looked too irresistible to not pass along.
Oh my gracious, my mouth is watering as I read the recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
⅛ tsp. salt
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ cup fresh orange juice, divided
2 tbsp. orange zest
½ cup milk, at room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
NOTE: It’s best to use room-temperature eggs when using room-temperature butter. Bring eggs to room temperature quickly by placing them in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour an 8-by-4-in. loaf pan.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl, and set aside. Using a mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined, then beat in 2 tbsp. of orange juice and the orange zest. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk, until combined.
3. Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
4. For the glaze, whisk the remaining 2 tbsp. of orange juice and the confectioners’ sugar together until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake, and sprinkle with a little orange zest before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 6-8
Thank you, Sally, for sharing with us this lovely recipe. What a great dessert for my next family gathering or party.